Saturday, November 24, 2012

Love in Maasai Land




Love in Maasai Land   

         In the harassing Amboseli heat we found a shaded space under a bushy Acacia tree to rest. Through our local Maasai translator we thanked the small community of four men and some twenty women and children who welcomed us into their home this last week. Our group built and finished a fence to protect their livestock from lions and hyenas.  The men also took this time to vocalize their appreciation and to stress the peace in their lives that will result from the fence. The fare-well setting allowed time for both groups to engage freely and soon we entered a conversation about culture, lifestyles and traditions in our homes.
            One thing is for sure in Maasai culture, cattle and livestock are a man’s wealth, it is not only his bank account but represents his status in society.  It is said that if you run over a goat or a cow in East Africa there is an anger that erupts in a Maasai warrior you would never want to see. Don’t worry getting your wallet out, it is not about the amount you can pay him or how many times you apologize to make up for the incident, it means much more and the palpable anger will turn to sadness and ultimately disrespect.  Lesson: never run over or hit livestock in Africa!  Thus, life in a traditional Maasai home revolves around cattle, homes are oriented around the herd, gardening happens when animals are safe and eating, time with family happens after livestock are safe and full and their food comes mostly all from cows mostly including the milk and blood, sometimes including the meat.  Livestock are also given in exchange for a woman’s hand in marriage. 
            With some ideas of the Maasai tradition already in our minds, we inquired more about the lifestyle,
            “What are the roles of men in this village?”
            “To care for the cows.”
            “What are the roles of the women here?”
            “There are three main roles of women” the group of ladies respond after some quick bantering amongst one another “One is to gather firewood, the second is to collect water, and third is to tend to the children.” 
            This precise answer stunned me, to hear it from their mouths in such exact terms triggered a colorful patchwork of millions of thoughts in one single nanosecond.  I stumbled over the answers that come to mind when someone asks about my role as a woman in my society, all of the things I think about and strive to achieve, being a role-model and a teacher, helping humanity, focusing on positivity, respect, kindness, intellectual ability, friends, family, safety, security, culture, love.  Just because they name these three main responsibilities, they must engage with other aspects, right?
            I tuned back in as one of our students asked about marriage traditions.  Samson the elder answered, “it depends on the dowry, it depends on a coming of age ceremony, circumcision and wealth.”  It is said many Maasai families marry their daughters off to an elderly man in order to ‘save them from lives of poverty’, thus traditionally the man marrying the young woman must show his wealth by providing a healthy bride price or dowry, many goats or cows will due.  Now times are changing and I have found it is more than unfair to make such blanket generalizations about a group of people, although this is the tradition that has been alive for many years.
            The elderly man of the group then asked us about marriage in our home.  We explained the traditional ceremony, he responded as if we didn’t answer his question, “Why do people get married, what are people looking for?” Our group listed off the usual response “compatibility, love, sense of humor…” The old man almost interrupted, “Do people marry for wealth?”  We all stopped and looked at each other, one answered “In our society it is not encouraged to marry for money, although some people do, most people marry for love.”  The old man stopped, seeming to blame the translation for his misunderstanding.
            I looked over to the women and children sitting next to us on the ground, do they know love like I do? Do their families love each other like I have known? Do they love their partners like I have known?
            It is not for me to judge weather they know love like I.  I understand there is a life beyond what I have observed, and heard through the words of our translator.  I trust that there is love in their life, but I also simply take this interaction to give thanks for all of the love I have been blessed with.  How my family respects me and what I think as an individual.  How people in my life have encouraged my plans and goals without stubbing my growth due to expectations or traditions.  I give thanks I can be my own woman, be free in my expressions, my health, and my choices.  
            Through my time spent throughout Africa I have learned layers of love and freedom.  It is here I am challenged beyond the best schooling or continual failure, it is here I have experienced smiles, laughter and heart more vibrant than all the money spent on holidays and birthdays.  I don’t want this story about Maasai women to represent a lack of love in Africa, for it is here love is flowing through every pore, it seems to simply take a different form here in a land of complex change and deep seated traditions.