Thursday, February 2, 2012

Listamos!

(This is from my blog Im writing for Osprey)

It seems the planning, packing, organizing and legistic side of my adventure is always the the most laborious and taxing to my soul.  It is the passion and excitment for change and spontenaety that sets me free from modern ammenities and the comforts of home, although I am most always stopped in my tracks right at the beginning as I find myself relying on technology, research, updating gear, umpteen stops at various stores, doctors, banks, libraries, and the list goes on.  By the time I get to the airport with every last accessory and map in tow, Im worn out and proceeding through a fog of theorhetical plans I have made.

Here I am at that very point, ready to leave for the bustling international airport in Miami, tired and dazed.  The one major component keeping me awake- the 20 women I am blessed to be leading, teaching, and traveling with for the next four months!  They are, sixteen high school students who have signed up for a semester abroad with an adventure travel and experiential school hoping to hone their spanish trek through the Andes, explore the Galapagos, engage in community service proects, homestays and immerse in history, culture, science, math, journalism and new ideas on what independence can look like!

We are The Traveling School, all girls school, learning through the experiences we find ourselves in.  We teach all required highschool classes while on the road.  We are comprised of females from all over the United States traveling together for one semester.  With us: one large (stuffed) backpack and one school pack filled with vibrant curriculum, and six gear bags filled with a library of books, tents, white baords, maps and a sat phone.

We’re living with expression and helping to engage these young minds with the world they live in, knowing they will find an incredible new way of thinking.  We have the tools to steer them, although it wont take long for them to have that “AH HA!” moment we all yearn for in life! No doubt it will happen here!!
Thank you to all our fellow adventurers and soul searchers.